This page includes rules and guidelines for community members who act as Moderators of the Denver Women of Cannabis Forums. For general guidelines on how to use the Denver Women of Cannabis Forums please check out our Forum Rules post in the New Member Forum.
What is the Role of a Moderator?
The purpose of the forum is for people to help each other in their professional development. Guidelines for the entire community are in place to fulfill that purpose, and the job of moderators is to keep the forum operating for its intended purpose. All moderation action is to that end.
To be a good moderator, it isn’t enough to be a valued member of the community. You also must be able to act in accordance with the website’s interests, show good judgment and trustworthiness, and commit to the responsibility of moderation — an endless, sometimes thankless task.
As a moderator of the Denver Women of Cannabis Forum, you are expected to perform certain tasks and follow basic guidelines. We promote a friendly environment where members can freely exchange ideas in a non-offensive manner. Moderators should promote and demonstrate the principles of the forum and are not exempt from the general rules for the forum. The following are guidelines on what to do as a moderator.
- As a moderator, you are expected to be active on the forum. This not only includes logging in frequently but posting and initiating new topics of interest as well, especially in the board(s) that you moderate. Your posts must lift the discussion by being thoughtful, respectful, and demonstrative of your knowledge and good character. These kinds of posts encourage other people to participate in a richer conversation.
- As an active moderator, you are expected to help other members by offering knowledge that you have or providing links when necessary.
- You are expected to conduct yourself on DWC and other forums (if under the same username) in a way that represents the forum – no offensive behavior or arguments. We are the role models for the forum and members will emulate our actions.
- Do not allow negative comments about members or vendors. Remove the post and post a comment noting the reason it was deleted in the Moderator Forum. Send the original poster a personal message (PM) explaining why the post was removed and noting any applicable forum rules.
- Notify a forum administrator of any violations that cannot be handled as a moderator and send a warning to the member. Members that are misbehaving/making bad suggestions should also be reported in the Moderator Forum, depending on how delicate/severe the situation is. In an instance where a member’s behavior is so offensive that it requires a ban, contact an administrator. We hope permanent actions will never become necessary.
- If a thread is started on the wrong board, move the thread to the correct board.
- If a thread begins to get off-topic, split the thread and all applicable posts into a new thread with an appropriate thread title.
- Treat all members with respect. As a moderator of DWC, you should exercise restraint when responding to an infraction. Try to keep your personal opinions regarding vendors and other members to yourself as it reflects negatively on the forum. The responsibility of being a forum moderator includes acting in a manner that is considered unbiased and level-headed.
- Learn and be familiar with all the forum rules and policies, including those specific to vendors. Moderation actions should only be taken in response to a direct infraction of these rules and for no other reasons. When in doubt, contact a forum administrator for advice on how to handle a situation.
- All information in the moderator forums and sub-forums is considered CONFIDENTIAL and should not be shared with other members or non-members. If a moderator is found disclosing information from these forums, they will be immediately and permanently be banned – no questions asked.
- No moderator should EDIT anyone’s posts. If there is a dispute regarding a post, please send a personal message (PM) to the original poster (OP) to discuss it or remove the post. Posts should only be removed when necessary – such as when maintaining the integrity of the thread or the forum and its guidelines/rules.
- Acting as a moderator of DWC is done on a completely voluntary basis. Should you choose to stop moderating or plan to be absent from the forum for an extended period, please send a message to a forum administrator as a courtesy.
- Denver Women of Cannabis reserves the right to modify these rules as needed without prior notification and to remove moderator privileges at will.
- Denver Women of Cannabis recognizes that moderators dedicate large amounts of their personal time assisting with the forum. Effective June 2021, Denver Women of Cannabis reserves the right to provide moderators with products and/or discounts in recognition of the personal time that they volunteer to help administer the forum.